Off Roading

Boulder White Clouds

Home Forums Public Forums Land Use Issues Boulder White Clouds

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #149888
    76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    It still amazes me, well, not really, that certain people that wanted Wilderness. Now want a National Monument, because THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO COMPROMISE AT ALL!! They won’t be happy till you have to hike all the way from Sun Valley to get there. Of course they have to be able to fly into Hailey on their private jet. :bs:

    #149889

    BasqueMan
    Participant

    @76cj5 wrote:

    It still amazes me, well, not really, that certain people that wanted Wilderness. Now want a National Monument, because THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO COMPROMISE AT ALL!! They won’t be happy till you have to hike all the way from Sun Valley to get there. Of course they have to be able to fly into Hailey on their private jet. :bs:

    And it will NEVER BE ENOUGH!
    With the groups involved, Sierra Club/Idaho Conservation League/Idaho Rivers United/et all, this is their religion. Gaia (mother earth) is their god. They are compelled to create “temples” that can only be experienced/enjoyed in the method that they see fit. (can you say fascist)

    Mark my words… The same crowd will be back WITHIN 5 YEARS proposing Wilderness/monuments somewhere else in Idaho.

    Okay, off my :soap:

    #149890

    GDW
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    @76cj5 wrote:

    It still amazes me, well, not really, that certain people that wanted Wilderness. Now want a National Monument, because THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO COMPROMISE AT ALL!! They won’t be happy till you have to hike all the way from Sun Valley to get there. Of course they have to be able to fly into Hailey on their private jet. :bs:

    I read several years ago that the environmental groups have private compounds carved out deep in the wilderness and national forests that they fly into. Only the top people running the groups are allowed in. The ordinary dues paying members are not even aware of the compounds. These places were originally logging and mining camps that got grandfathered in when the areas were created. Is there any truth to this or is this an urban legend?

    #149891
    76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    Not sure, but can’t you legally fly into wilderness ?

    #149892
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Moderator
    Star

    ID

    @76cj5 wrote:

    Not sure, but can’t you legally fly into wilderness ?

    I didn’t think flying and landing was legal in a Wilderness. I’ve heard people say that’s one of the reasons why fighting forest fires is so hard in a Wilderness area: nobody can get to it to get control of it.

    #149893

    ibcrwln
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    There are some wilderness airstrips that were grandfathered in to the wilderness areas. It is a constant battle to keep them open because of the same organization that IOR has to contend with.

    #149894
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Moderator
    Star

    ID

    #149895

    pc500
    Participant

    @Fire Jeep wrote:

    @76cj5 wrote:

    Not sure, but can’t you legally fly into wilderness ?

    I didn’t think flying and landing was legal in a Wilderness. I’ve heard people say that’s one of the reasons why fighting forest fires is so hard in a Wilderness area: nobody can get to it to get control of it.

    Everything you ever wanted to know about this…

    The interesting thing is the wilderness airstrips largely started in the 30s and 40s to assist in firefighting efforts. Although less used today in that capacity, they still play a critical role in fire suppression operations.

    When Montana passed their wilderness bill, one thing they did was close the airstrips within. Later, when it came time to pass the Frank Church and the Selway Bitteroot, aircraft access became a major issue as a result. Perhaps not a huge one, but one that was important enough, and affected enough constituency, that the possibility of passing the wilderness act without compromise on this issue because apparent. Of course, air wasn’t alone in this matter. The jet boat crowd was also represented.

    While keeping them open from time to time has become a problem with eco-terrorism, particularly on the Big Creek drainage, the Forest Service knows closing them is not even a discussion option on the table.

    There is one letter, which Frank Church wrote himself, that explains this issue well. I’ve copy and pasted it here:

    “Dear Mr. Pope: I have received your two letters expressions your opposition…. However I would like to say a word about the provisions of the bill which relate to the landing strips, in the light of your objection…. Because of the vastness of the River of No Return area, without continued access by air, few people could see and enjoy the remote and less accessible parts of the region. Therefore, in the Senate bill we provided that the landing of aircraft shall be permitted to continue. We also prohibited the Forest Service from closing airstrips in regular use… The history of man goes back over 8,000 years in this area, but even today the region – with the airstrips and other rustic facilities – – is largely ‘wilderness’ under the definition of the 1964 Wilderness Act… As the floor manager of the 1964 Wilderness act, I recall quite clearly what we were trying to accomplish by setting up the National Wilderness Preservation System, and I make no apologies for my commitment to assuring that this spectacular area can be seen and enjoyed, whether the access is by horseback, on foot, via jet boat, or small plane. I hope, after reviewing this material and my letter, you too will believe that the legislation passed recently by the Senate does justice to this region of rugged beauty and remoteness. With best wishes for the holiday season, Sincerely, Frank Church.”

    #149896
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Moderator
    Star

    ID

    The Boulder/White Cloud Wilderness bill has passed the Senate and is headed for the President’s desk.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/08/04/3924035/boulder-white-clouds-bill-passes.html

    #149897

    BasqueMan
    Participant

    Yay [ANGRY FACE]

    Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

    #149898
    76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    Makes you feel kind of dirty :oops:

    #149899
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Moderator
    Star

    ID

    @76cj5 wrote:

    Makes you feel kind of dirty :oops:

    Copy that. Obama signed the bill today. It’s a done deal. Now we shall see what was actually agreed to and how bad we got screwed.

    #149900

    pc500
    Participant

    I finally sat down and looked at the damage. The loss to Idaho motorized recreation is actually not that bad, it was scaled back substantially from it’s original form and the Idaho Recreational Council did a good job of preserving all their trails. A few trails on the NE side got clipped, but most were ATV and largely BLM/desert trails. I don’t think there was one official Jeep trail. The Mountain Bikers got the short end of the stick and lost a couple of world class trails.

    It sucked, but if the republican-controlled congress didn’t pass it, Obama was going to turn it into a national monument with a stroke of a pen — and potentially worse consequences and increased size.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com