Off Roading

Cottonwood/Thorn Creek Road Gated

Home Forums Public Forums Land Use Issues Cottonwood/Thorn Creek Road Gated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

GDW
    Boise

ID

There is a locked gate at the top of Cottonwood/Thorn Creek Road. This is where the cattle guard is and where it connects to NF 203. The sign says Idaho Endowment Lands beyond closed to vehicles wider than 50″.

landman
    Participant
    Nampa

ID

Can you go on up to Baldy and Thorn Butte. I assume the road down Cotton wood is the one closed

76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

So, who keeps making these decisions to lock us out of our trails? Example, Miners Grave to Pilots Peak. We need to talk to someone! :bs:

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

:sos: @76cj5 wrote:

So, who keeps making these decisions to lock us out of our trails? Example, Miners Grave to Pilots Peak. We need to talk to someone! :bs:

:IAgree: :rules:

Skinny Pedal
    Participant

Doesn’t the state association have a lands use manager………. Oh wait :deadhorse:

landman
    Participant
    Nampa

ID

The gate is placed at the top of this road. No warning until you get to it. Makes no sense to have it there. If the road is to actually be closed it should be gated near Hwy 21.
    This road was used by many during the State Assoc Rally and no gate then, why now?
    Is this an issue we need to alert BRC about? Does any one know the Boise Nat FS Supervisor? Can we as a State, Club etc approach these Gods?
    Saturday the road was being used by several people, none who seemed aware of any closure or gate.
    All were traveling from Bottom, Hwy 21 going up to the Gate.

BasqueMan
    Participant

I agree, I think we need to check with the local Forester for more info.

76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I’m not the one to lead the meeting, but would be more than willing to be part of a group to meet who ever.
    My work is pretty slow right now, could help any time.

landman
    Participant
    Nampa

ID

I can be available as well till the 7th then will be out of town until about the 20th. Just let me know, be glad to go with someone to meet with the FS.
    Guess we need to do some PR work with these folks anyway. Maybe offer some trail Maint/trash pickup.

GDW
    Boise

ID

There is an old burned-out car in the creek. For years, it was sitting up on the trail taking bullets. Very recently, like in the last month or 2, someone pushed it into the creek. Maybe the state would open the gate if the club volunteered to remove the car and the club volunteered to keep the trail open near the bottom. Clear garbage and brush. Basically, adopt it.

Of course, the real question is: Once the state finds out that a Jeep can be driven through the lower portion of the trail along the creek bed for a ways and across it several times, will the state just simply gate the lower portion too?

76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

My question is, why would those in charge ASSUME that it must have been someone with a wider wheel base than 50″ pushed the car into the creek bed? :dontknow:
    And, why is it OK to ride an ATV or UTV through a creek and not OK for a Jeep to do the same? :bs:

Also, I would be more than happy to drag the car out of there and haul it to a recycler!

GDW
    Boise

ID

jeep = car
    car = woman with baby, stranded, high centered on rut, baby dies of dehydration, woman sues

jeep = duece & half
    duece & half = illegal logging with chains, winches, mowing down trees, getting stuck, 5 ft tall trenches, owners leave truck, burn it, forest fire

jeep = mad max
    mad max = carnage mayhem, drinking, post-apocalyptic anarchy, beheading, staking, meat loaf remains

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@76cj5 wrote:

My question is, why would those in charge ASSUME that it must have been someone with a wider wheel base than 50″ pushed the car into the creek bed? :dontknow:
    And, why is it OK to ride an ATV or UTV through a creek and not OK for a Jeep to do the same? :bs:

Also, I would be more than happy to drag the car out of there and haul it to a recycler!

Howa about we drag it over to the gate and block the abilty for the 50″ rigs to get through?

BasqueMan
    Participant

@gdw wrote:

jeep = car
    car = woman with baby, stranded, high centered on rut, baby dies of dehydration, woman sues

jeep = duece & half
    duece & half = illegal logging with chains, winches, mowing down trees, getting stuck, 5 ft tall trenches, owners leave truck, burn it, forest fire

jeep = mad max
    mad max = carnage mayhem, drinking, post-apocalyptic anarchy, beheading, staking, meat loaf remains

That’s pretty funny! :P
    Unfortunately, probably pretty accurate also. :cussing:

76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

@gdw wrote:

jeep = car

jeep = duece & half

jeep = mad max

WAY TOO FUNNY!! Thanks Peter. :bull:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com