Off Roading

Jan. 21- Expedition run, Leslie Gulch

Home Forums Public Forums Trail Rides and Events Announcements Jan. 21- Expedition run, Leslie Gulch

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  markrez 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Helrazer
    Participant

Leslie Gulch – Oregon – Jan 21

Time 10 AM,

WHEN: Jan 21st 2017

WHERE TO MEET:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.5460797,-116.8510786//@43.5494061,-116.8504654,16z/data=!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e2

Gas Station / Convenience Store
    Intersection of Route 55 and Route 95, about three miles outside of Marshing.
    5644 Buntrock Rd, Marsing, ID 83639

TIME: meet about 10:00 am

REQUIREMENTS: Tow points. Mechanically sound. This is mostly a trail run on unpaved roads. There should be an opportunity to drive into the reservoir. In that case, please have good tires, tow strap(s), working CB and/or 2m HAM Radio, winch is helpful.

Food: Bring something for lunch.

It is winter – prepare for it. Bring water, food, and blankets.

Membership: OPEN TO EVERYONE you do not have to be a member.

I have never been to Leslie Gulch and was told that if it is not below 32 Deg. we should not try this run. So lets watch the weather.

Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

ID

This is one of my favorite places to go, but I completely agree that we shouldn’t go if it’s above freezing. I’m in as long as I don’t have to wash all the mud off the mommy Jeep when I’m done.

There are also some covered picnic tables and fire pits at the edge of the reservoir, so if you have a place to haul some firewood, please do and we can have some fires at lunch time.

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

Would love to go, but the Jeep is still in the hospital.

markrez
    Participant
    Meridian

ID

For those curious what to expect
    [video:3mq8c2ki]www.youtube.com/watch?v=apDVgePE0ec[/video:3mq8c2ki]
    [video:3mq8c2ki]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlefGtJd8Y[/video:3mq8c2ki]

jroco
    Participant
    Boise

ID

now I see the need to go when its freezing. It would take me years to clean my truck after that, looks like fun though :D

Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

ID

Great videos, Mark!

76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

Since I have limited gas capacity and will trailer to dirt road. How many miles is the off road loop? Do we have to come back down the highway to get back to trailer drop off?

Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

ID

No, it isn’t a loop. You’ll be able to get back to the trailer. I don’t know exactly how many miles.

Biggerwolf
    Participant

Looks like it will be fun. I was at your Jan 12th meeting and would like to go on this ride with you guys. I am new to owning a jeep and I am new to off roading. I currently do not have any tow straps would I still be able to go on the run without them? Is there somewhere locally I can find some? I checked harbor freight but they are out.

Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

ID

@biggerwolf wrote:

Looks like it will be fun. I was at your Jan 12th meeting and would like to go on this ride with you guys. I am new to owning a jeep and I am new to off roading. I currently do not have any tow straps would I still be able to go on the run without them? Is there somewhere locally I can find some? I checked harbor freight but they are out.

Yes, you can come without tow straps, but does your Jeep have attachment points to hook tow straps to? That is more important. You can buy tow straps on Amazon; just look for strong ones without metal hooks. I think I bought this one last time: https://www.amazon.com/Tow-strap-Recovery-Strap-capacity/dp/B00N4U4G5S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1484536979&sr=8-6&keywords=Tow+strap

Biggerwolf
    Participant

@Fire Jeep wrote:

@biggerwolf wrote:

Yes, you can come without tow straps, but does your Jeep have attachment points to hook tow straps to? That is more important. You can buy tow straps on Amazon; just look for strong ones without metal hooks. I think I bought this one last time: https://www.amazon.com/Tow-strap-Recovery-Strap-capacity/dp/B00N4U4G5S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1484536979&sr=8-6&keywords=Tow+strap

It has the stock bumpers with the hooks on the front as for the rear there is a tow hitch but that’s it that I know of.

Tumbleweed
    Participant
    Garden City

ID

Most any local 4×4 shop will have tow straps also. Bucks, Cobalt, Six States. Some auto places like NAPA, Oreillys, Auto Zone may have them but as said be sure to not get metal hooks on the ends. If you have a 2″ receiver hitch, they also sell a tow plug that will fit and have a D shackle on the other end for a strap.

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@biggerwolf wrote:

It has the stock bumpers with the hooks on the front as for the rear there is a tow hitch but that’s it that I know of.

That will do it. You should be fine.

jonglauser
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I’m in! Been too long since I got out with the club, really hoping it stays cold for this

Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

ID

It looks like the weather will still be snowy and cold, so this run is still on. I hope to make it all the way to the graveyard, but the snow and ice will be the ultimate determining factor once we get there. At the very least, there will be an opportunity to dip into the reservoir and play around for a while. Bring some firewood if people are interested in having a fire at lunch time. Hope to see a big group on Saturday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com