Off Roading

Phone GPS where there is no Cellular

Home Forums Public Forums Tech Talk Phone GPS where there is no Cellular

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

Yes, you too can find your way using GPS on your phone with Google’s Offline Maps.

Here is how to do it –> Google Maps Support

Now, let’s give it a try on your phone.

On your phone, open Google Maps
    Search for the location, 44.784, -115.370
    Click on the car on the bottom right, to get directions (you might show a bus or walking icon)
    Replace “My Location” with 44.648, -115.670
    Then you should see “via Johnson Creek Rd 2hr 16min” .. click that.
    Now you should see the route from Warm Lake to the Tungsten Mine.
    Click the “X” next to the route stuff at the top. This will leave a blank map with a pin at the Tungsten Mine.
    Then, tap the search box, click the “x”, and…
    Then, either type “ok maps” in the box, or scroll to the bottom of the list and click “Save map to use offline”.
    Then, click “Save”

That’s it. Now, all of the roads and features that are between the Tungsten Mine and Warm Lake are stored offline on your phone. This means that you can use your phone GPS while you are on the Labor Day campout, even with no cellular service.

jonglauser
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I was under the impression that while you can save the map tiles for offline viewing, the navigation and route planning requires a connection. True?

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

Route planning does, sort of.

You can save your routes too. If you look up a route while you have Cellular service, you can pull it up from history.

The offline maps simply stores the map image. It’s not as good as a stand alone GPS device, but if you want to know where you are, you can look at your phone and follow the trails to a spot. If you don’t have off-line maps, you’ll just get a pointer in the middle of a green screen.

76CJ5
    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I’ll just follow Christian :sos:

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@76cj5 wrote:

I’ll just follow Christian :sos:

Bummer, I was hoping to be tail gunner this year. I actually have my top on. :crybaby:

Jeephacker
    Jeephacker
    Keymaster
    Boise

ID

@cdahlstrom wrote:

I actually have my top on. :crybaby:

Me too. With a high of 70 in Cascade for Sat and Sun, I figure it’s going to be a little chilly on the trail at the high altitudes. After all, a warm family is a happy family.

BasqueMan
    Participant

Dang Christian, you are a rockstar! Nice! :occasion5:
    And thank you for guinea pigging it. :clap:

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@jeephacker wrote:

@cdahlstrom wrote:

I actually have my top on. :crybaby:

Me too. With a high of 70 in Cascade for Sat and Sun, I figure it’s going to be a little chilly on the trail at the high altitudes. After all, a warm family is a happy family.

The spot forecast for our campground shows:
    Friday Night A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. West southwest wind 8 to 13 mph becoming light south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
    Saturday A 20 percent chance of showers before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 60.
    Saturday Night A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.
    Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 56.
    Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.
    Labor Day Mostly sunny, with a high near 59.

Could this be a snow year????

jonglauser
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I got an offline map app called NavFree USA. Pretty good, uses open street maps and is completely offline.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com