Off Roading

Public Comments Needed by Dec. 15, 2016

Home Forums Public Forums Land Use Issues Public Comments Needed by Dec. 15, 2016

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Fire Jeep Fire Jeep 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #134425
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

    ID

    I am going to give a Reader’s Digest version of the Birds of Prey and Canyonlands East BLM Travel Managment Plan. I have a lot of info from the IRC meeting, so ask if you have questions. Think of Birds of Prey and Canyonlands area as the current Turkey Run/last year’s Rocket Run area (Fossil Butte) and Gauntlet/Diff Hanger/Hooker Canyon.

    The Current Proposal: the miles listed are miles of open, motorized roads. This does not include paved highways.
    1. Option A: 1,451 miles of trails in Canyonlands East, 346 miles in Birds of Prey (this is what we currently have).
    2. Option B: 550 miles of trails in Canyonlands East, 160 miles in Birds of Prey
    3. Option C: 854 miles of trails in Canyonlands East, 224 miles in Birds of Prey
    4. Option D: 1,168 miles of trails in Canyonlands East, 305 miles in Birds of Prey

    The stated reasons for closure discussions are to balance motorized access with the protection of the area’s natural, scenic, and cultural resources.

    In addition to the four options, these three Seasonal Restrictions are being proposed:
    1. Greater sage grouse lekking: March 25-May 15, from 5:00 am to 9 am
    2. Bighorn sheep lambing: April 15-June 15, 24 hours a day
    3. Sensitive plant species: March 15-October 15, 24 hours a day

    Birds of Prey maps: http://arcg.is/2gpBQfG http://bit.ly/2eX3nmS

    Canyonlands East maps: http://bit.ly/2gdU8Ug http://arcg.is/2gpFxSK

    In my opinion, we are going to lose trails over this. We need to email with specifics and address why a specific road or trail should stay open. For example, Road #37ce2007.110 is used to access blah blah blah. Also, our club uses the area three times a year with 60 vehicles and brings business to the Chevron on Air Base Road and buys lunch in Bruneau. We need to specifically target Diff Hanger, Gauntlet, Hooker Canyon, and the Fossil Butte trails that we use and show them why other people besides us would financially suffer if they close this. Make sure you address all the action alternatives: A, B, C, and D. For example, We want A, D is our next choice, C is a last resort, and B is no option at all because we refuse to lose over two-thirds of our total trails in the BLM district.

    Email your opinions to: oma_trans_wild@blm.gov

    This must be done by Dec. 15.

    #152184

    landman
    Participant
    Nampa

    ID

    Nate,
    What about all the work done several years ago plotting and mapping all roads as county roads so BLM could not close them. Are these still in place?
    They were all classed as county roads Feds could not close them.
    IOR spent several weekends working with County people and many others on this. Many of the long time members should have knowledge of this. Bill Taylor was president at the time. Ken Nixon was active as well.

    #152185
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

    ID

    @landman wrote:

    Nate,
    What about all the work done several years ago plotting and mapping all roads as county roads so BLM could not close them. Are these still in place?
    They were all classed as county roads Feds could not close them.
    IOR spent several weekends working with County people and many others on this. Many of the long time members should have knowledge of this. Bill Taylor was president at the time. Ken Nixon was active as well.

    All that work was done in the Murphy subregion, what we now call the Owyhee front. This is a different section of BLM land, and this is all being done as a response to legislation that was passed in 2008-2009. All we can do is publicly comment and they will make a decision in January.

    #152186
    Christian
    Christian
    Moderator
    Boise

    ID

    Nate,
    Thanks for getting this posted.

    Everyone,
    Please take a moment and send in your comments. This directly impacts Diff Hanger and Gauntlet. And hundreds of miles of back country roads that have amazing vistas.

    #152187

    76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

    ID

    Sent my letter

    #152183
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

    ID

    IOR’s response has been sent. The website says that a decision will be reached in January, so it should be interesting to see how much public input if valued.

    #152188

    Jeephacker
    Keymaster
    Boise

    ID

    Letter sent!

    #152189
    Christian
    Christian
    Moderator
    Boise

    ID

    What are the “missed routes”, and what happens to them? Also, what about the trails that aren’t in any of the maps, i.e. Gauntlet?

    #152190
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

    ID

    @cdahlstrom wrote:

    What are the “missed routes”, and what happens to them? Also, what about the trails that aren’t in any of the maps, i.e. Gauntlet?

    I used the marked trails as reference points and explained where Gauntlet was and how it made a loop with Diff Hanger. I also referenced other Off Road groups who had given GPS routes to the BLM that were subsequently “lost.”

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #152191
    Christian
    Christian
    Moderator
    Boise

    ID

    Letter Sent. :argue:

    #152192
    Christian
    Christian
    Moderator
    Boise

    ID

    @Fire Jeep wrote:

    @cdahlstrom wrote:

    What are the “missed routes”, and what happens to them? Also, what about the trails that aren’t in any of the maps, i.e. Gauntlet?

    I used the marked trails as reference points and explained where Gauntlet was and how it made a loop with Diff Hanger. I also referenced other Off Road groups who had given GPS routes to the BLM that were subsequently “lost.”

    I used the coordinate tool to indicate starting points for our trails and explained the use of the trails and the value to the local area.

    #152193
    Fire Jeep
    Fire Jeep
    Participant
    Star

    ID

    @cdahlstrom wrote:

    @Fire Jeep wrote:

    @cdahlstrom wrote:

    What are the “missed routes”, and what happens to them? Also, what about the trails that aren’t in any of the maps, i.e. Gauntlet?

    I used the marked trails as reference points and explained where Gauntlet was and how it made a loop with Diff Hanger. I also referenced other Off Road groups who had given GPS routes to the BLM that were subsequently “lost.”

    I used the coordinate tool to indicate starting points for our trails and explained the use of the trails and the value to the local area.

    Yes, I also discussed the economic impact of losing these trails, specifically to Dan’s Ferry, Murphy, and Elmore County.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com