Off Roading

US Forest Service unlawfully blocking Cinnabar Road

Home Forums Public Forums Land Use Issues US Forest Service unlawfully blocking Cinnabar Road

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Christian Christian 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

Group, we need to act now. One of the most intact ghost towns in Idaho is about to be blocked from visitors. Yes, you can visit from the north, but that road is only accessible 2 or 3 months of the year due to snow and horrible road conditions.

This scoping document says that the comment period ends 4/30/2016. Please send your comments today. Yes, we are late, but it will still go on file.

Here are a few quotes from the notice (link):

Restoration of the ford crossing at Sugar Creek would reestablish the natural channel geometry by reducing the over-widened channel by reconstructing the eroded stream banks using natural materials on site. Dead or down trees and clusters of riparian vegetation (alder and willow) would be collected within the riparian conservation area and transplanted along the channel to rebuild the banks. Ground disturbance would be restricted to a 50 foot buffer from road center. Additional barriers to prohibit motorized crossing of the ford may be constructed just outside the floodplain of Sugar Creek.

As a categorical exclusion there are no additional designated public comment periods for this project so this “scoping” phase is the best opportunity for public input.

Please go to the notice page and click the link to Comment/Object on Project. You will also find a link to read other comments that have been submitted.

ProudBuckeye
    Participant
    Meridian

ID

Thanks for sending this alert. I did send the following comment to Anthony Botello who is listed as the person taking comments. Feel free to plagiarize.

Our family has enjoyed visiting the Cinnabar mine and using the Cinnabar road to access this historic mining area. As an avid Jeeper that respects the Tread Lightly philosophy I would personally like to see this road kept open so that our family can enjoy it in the future.

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@proudbuckeye wrote:

Thanks for sending this alert. I did send the following comment to Anthony Botello who is listed as the person taking comments. Feel free to plagiarize.

Our family has enjoyed visiting the Cinnabar mine and using the Cinnabar road to access this historic mining area. As an avid Jeeper that respects the Tread Lightly philosophy I would personally like to see this road kept open so that our family can enjoy it in the future.

Thanks.

76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

I am still a little confused on the Forest Services main reason for closing the road. Is it just long enough to modify the Sugar Creek crossing? They claim the road has been closed since 1995? I know that it has been used more recent than that. They claim an average of 7 vehicles per day on that road between May and June? I call BS :bs:
    A friend of mine drove up Johnson Creek road and through Yellow Pine last week. It was a ghost town with everything either closed or for sale. No one was camping along Johnson Creek.
    Is this the Forest Service’s final goal?
    Is ther anyone we can get to come talk to us and give us some more information? I have reached out to Sandra Mitchell and hope to talk to her soon.

pc500
    Participant

More details are here, I highly encourage the reading of the whole document:
    http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/103627_FSPLT3_3806442.pdf

The short of it is to restore fish habitat. I get the feeling they are not objectionable in principal to the use of the road by motorized vehicles, but the stream crossing itself is a no-no.

There is no plan to actually stop maintaining the road itself or restore it to its natural condition, but they do intend to block public access. If someone has a valid reason to access it — such as a private landowner or for administrative purposes, they may grant this request.

From correspondence I found on another website, I do believe they’d be open to leaving it available if there was a bridge built over the creek. It is likely there’s little reason to justify the cost of a bridge to nowhere, but they hinted to being open to talks about a privately funded bridge.

The car counts were taken by vehicle counters. Granted, I’m sure it was in the summer seasons, but on July 4th alone it peaked at 47 vehicles.

76CJ5
    Participant
    Boise

ID

Sandra Mitchell from the IRC will be at our Aug. club meeting to update us on the Cinnabar road closing

Christian
    Christian
    Boise

ID

@76cj5 wrote:

Sandra Mitchell from the IRC will be at our Aug. club meeting to update us on the Cinnabar road closing

This is excellent!
    :clap: :popcorn: :clap: :popcorn: :clap:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Logo Footer

Idaho Off-Road 4x4 club is an association of people brought together to share a single passion: Four Wheeling! We are a family oriented club dedicated to keeping our public lands open while practicing the policy of TREAD LIGHTLY!

Meetings

We meet at 7 pm on the second Thursday of every month at Idaho Pizza in Meridian.

Contact

PO Box 995
Meridian, Idaho 83680

membership@idaho4x4.com